Tuesday 21 February 2012

World Bird Wednesday - Let sleeping ducks lie.

I took this image of a Pacific Black Duck a while ago – I thought how peaceful it looked at the time. Its beady little eye watched me with the kind of open disinterest one often sees in ducks who are confident that you neither going to feed them or shoot at them either.

Like many of our native species this one has a bit of a cloud on the horizon – it comes in the form of the humble Mallard. The species can interbreed and in some places this mixing of genes is a threat to the PBD.

I’m rather fond of ducks – who could be un-cheered by a raft of them approaching your boat or bank side? - but I’d rather see them where they evolved instead of where we have taken them.

You can find more birds at World Bird Wednesday.

You can find the latest post to my other blog by clicking the Paying Ready Attention image on the RHS of the screen.

Enjoy the birds.

22 comments:

  1. Excellent shot Stewart, I also love watching the birds, any type of a bird will do! :-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific capture, Stewart! I, too, love that watchful eye!! Hope your week is going well!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more with your statement!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shot!
    I love the pattern of the feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute capture, with that one eye peeking out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting about the mallard interbreeding. (they are the most common wild duck where I live.) I like how calm teh duck appears to be...

    ReplyDelete
  7. He seems very relaxed and non-threatened by your presence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great photo of the duck. It looks very relaxed and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice capture. He's a beautiful duck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely picture of this handsome fella. One more thing to worry about environmentally !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love ducks Stewart, whatever their genes. Long may they evolve :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this shot in all its full sized glory. It is certainly a wonder that wild ducks are so wickedly shy and city birds become so pushy once they associate people with food. Still, they're smart not to completely trust us.
    Cheers Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the picture. I have no idea how common ducks are in Australia, but over here in the U.S. they are everywhere, which makes for an interesting situation: Precisely because they are so common, people fail to appreciate how handsome they are!

    If you are speaking of the same mallards we have, you are right to be concerned about their genetic prowess. They are so numerous and cross breed so readily with other ducks, that some species are supposedly in danger of being "hybridized" out of existence! Although I tend not to put much stock in predictions of environmental problems, I must admit that when it comes to mallards, my own observations don't do much to contradict the claims of the hyperbolists.

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a beautiful snapshot Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stewart, it is a beauty and yes, peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the ducks too. Very pretty setting, and he is keeping an eye on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a lovely photo. I agree with you, i also prefer to see birds where they are meant to be. Over here our mallards (and they're native here!) interbreed and cause confusion!

    ReplyDelete