Wednesday 3 January 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday 284 - Powerful Owl

Well, the first WBW of 2018 gets off to a good start via my last real birding trip of 2017.  With the help of a fellow birder I was able to get wonderful views of a family of Powerful Owls (Ninox strenua). The family - an adult female and two young - were showing well once we found them - although they were close to invisible from the path.  One of the young birds was far more active than the other, and the mother spend a few minutes sorting out some stray feathers.  This activity seemed to be a great interest to the more lively of the young ones.

Powerful Owls are Australia's largest owl - being about 65cm long - are are only found in east and south east Australia.  I had not seen any during 2017, so it was a nice way to end the year.  

These owls feed on possums, and you can see the size of the young birds feet in the last image.

Wonderful birds.
Young Bird
Young Bird x2
Adult female
Young Bird
Whole group
Young Bird
Whole group - female preening
Whole group - female preening 
Whole group - female preening 
Whole group - female preening 
Whole group - female preening 
Whole group - note size of feet.
To join in with WBW just click on the Blue Button below the thumbnails and follow the instructions. Feel free to invite all and any bloggers who may be interested.  Cheers and a Happy New Year.  SM

22 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Stewart, to you and the family.

    What a fabulous set of owl images. I'd be over the moon too if I'd had an opportunity like that.

    Currently suffering with my main lens away for repair.

    With my very best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing series of pictures. One could hardly hope for anything more. The only Australian Owl that I have encountered is Southern Boobook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they are cool looking owls. Awesome series of photos and a great sighting.
    Have a happy day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing owl photos! Have a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous creatures! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Bee-you-tee-full!!! OUtstanding first of the year!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you and your family Stewart. This is a great first post for 2018. Fantastic close up pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen this species before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very apt name for these large owls! Best wishes for a Happy New Year, and thank you for hosting us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truth be known, this is an owl I had not heard of ... and you know that I follow the owl world very closely. They are similar in coloring to our Barred Owl, but bigger and their heads are shaped differently ... oh so beautiful and love the yawning little one who knows he should be sleeping in the daylight times. Great series, Stewart. One more bird on my bucket list. If you are acting as my guide when I get there, you are going to be a very busy man. Happy New Year to you ... looking forward to another 52 weeks of bird fun :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic photos! Nice looking birds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year! I love your owlpictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, that´s a great sight. And you was able to get some really good shots. I like it when the images shows the behavier of the birds. One of the young seems quite sleepy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some truly amazing photos Stewart! From my perspective the birds look more like hawks than owls. Here's to great birding in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The diversity and beauty in Nature awesplatters me everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what beautiful owls! What a wonderful post to start the new year! Such great photos! Hope all is well in this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful series Stewart! I can certainly see how that owl gets its name. Love to see the family interaction. Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year. And thank you for the gift you give us all by sharing your talent and knowledge and by hosting WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great bird! Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Stewart, these photos are THE BEST!!! I would love to see and capture an owl as you did...these are great! Owls are quite the hunters which I learned several years ago when I attended a presentation on them....they are AWESOME creatures!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG..What beautiful Owl shots..They are my very favorites..Wonderful pictures. Happy New Year..Bitter cold and windy here for a few days...

    ReplyDelete